- Date: Oct 2021.
- Location: Mount Kenya.
- Objective: To do the Mount Kenya 3 Routes Challenge (Naro Moru, Chogoria & Sirimon).
- Difficulty: Insane!
- Day 1: Met Station – Lenana Peak – Chogoria Gate. (Naro Moru – Chogoria)
- Day 2: Chogoria Gate – Lenana Peak – Old Moses. (Chogoria – Sirimon)
- Day 3: Old Moses – Lenana Peak – Met Station. (Sirimon – Naro Moru)
3 Days, 3 Routes, 3 Summits.
Day 1: Met Station – Lenana Peak – Chogoria Gate.
Day 1 started really well. Nice weather and clear views of Batian Peak as well as the Aberdare Range from afar. The weather changed from Austrian Hut (4,790 m). Cold, foggy and some hailstones. The terrain was also quite icy. On some parts, our guide had to use an ice axe to make a path. Fortunately, we all summited and descended well to Chogoria Gate.
- Start Time: 5:10 am.
- Summit: 1:54 pm.
- Finish: 8:58 pm.
- Total Time: 15 hr 48 min.
- Total Distance: 31.5 km.
- Elevation Gain: 2,035 m.
Day 2: Chogoria Gate – Lenana Peak – Old Moses.
Day 2.. after about 6 hours of sleep, we had amazing weather at the start like Day 1. Awesome views of Lake Ellis, Lake Michaelson, Vivienne Falls & Gorges Valley. But the climb was hard! We were all still tired from the previous day. Approaching Mintos Camp (4,300m) it started to rain and it continued till we reached Harris Tarn (4,700m). From there, it became very cold, foggy and rained hailstones. The summit push to Lenana Peak was very hard! We were super happy that we made it! Though afterwards, we had to descend in the dark cold night to Old Moses Camp. We reached camp at around 2am and we knew we couldn’t do the final Day 3 hike. We were all very tired.
- Start Time: 6:42 am.
- Summit: 4:49 pm.
- Finish: 2:02 am.
- Total Time: 19 hr 20 min.
- Total Distance: 34 km.
- Elevation Gain: 2,226 m.
Day 3: Old Moses – Lenana Peak – Met Station. (Cancelled)
Cancelled day 3.. we were happy with our 2 summits. We might try this challenge again in future.
Challenge attempt totals:
- Hiking Time: 35 hr 8 min.
- Elapsed Time: 44 hr 51 min.
- Total Distance: 65.5 km.
- Total Elevation Gain: 4,262 m.