- Date: Aug 2021.
- Location: Mount Kilimanjaro – Tanzania.
- Route: Marangu – Mweka.
- Objective: To hike from Marangu Gate to Uhuru Peak and down to Mweka Gate within 24 hrs.
- Difficulty: Extremely Hard!
- Outcome: Finished 5 hr 38 min over targeted time.
- Start Time: 12:46 pm.
- Kibo Hut: 11:42 pm.
- Gilmans Point: 9:17 am. (next day)
- Uhuru Peak: 11:16 am.
- Mweka Gate: 6:24 pm.
- Total Time: 29 hr 38 min.
- Total Distance: 54.3 km.
- Calories Burned: 9,780.
- Marangu Gate Elevation: 1,879 m.
- Uhuru Peak Elevation: 5,895 m.
- Elevation Gain: 4,065 m.
This was my 2nd attempt at a Kilimanjaro 24 hr challenge. This time up Marangu route and down Mweka route. We were a team of 7 (3 hikers, 2 guides, 1 chef, 1 porter). The chef and porter were stationed at Kibo Hut where we would rest and have our meals.
The plan was to spend 17 hours on the ascent and 7 hours on the descent. It took 22 hrs 30 min ascending and 7 hrs 8 min descending. While ascending, the plan was to take a 1 hour break at Kibo Hut to rest, eat and nap. But we ended up spending 3 hours. Then from Kibo Hut to Uhuru Peak, I had altitude sickness and my pace became very slow. I was very fortunate to summit. The descent went as planned and I completely recovered by the time we reached the Gate.
I’ll probably attempt this again in future. Maybe 3rd time will be the charm 🙃