- Date: Dec 2020.
- Location: Mount Kinangop – Aberdare Range, Kenya.
- Difficulty: Very Hard.
- Route: Up Elephant Hill – Down Mutarakwa Forest.
- Total steps: 48,893.
- Total distance covered: 32.4 km.
- Distance from start to summit: 15.8 km.
- Total time: 24 hr.
- Moving time: 12 hr 34 min.
- Start time: 9:45 am.
- Summit: 6:18 pm.
- Finish: 9:45 am. (next day)
- Calories burned: 5,026.
- Min. Elevation: 2,536 m.
- Max. Elevation: 3,906 m.
- Elevation Gain: 1,853 m.
This is the Mother of all Aberdares hikes. The toughest challenge! It is long, steep, muddy, boggy, cold and also risky to summit as it requires scrambling.
We had a late start which led us to summiting late and descending in the dark (not recommended).
We got lost in the forest and around 2 am, we resigned to spending the night in the forest and wait for daylight. Fortunately there was no rain. Early morning our Ranger spotted the right trail and we descended and finished our hike exactly 24 hours from the time we began. I was really happy that I summited. It made everything enjoyable 😁